Monday, December 26, 2011

New Belgium Brewing Co - Clutch.

I am a beer drinker. Even though I am a girl, I have never been into wine. It just gives me a headache. Champagne = no problem; but wine = headache. Yeah, I do not get it either.

I am not a trained brew master. I have taken a few classes at Stone Brewing with "Dr." Bill, and I do drink mostly craft brews. J and I decided that we needed to start keeping track of which beers we had had and which ones we liked. So if you enjoy a great craft brew... Read on.



I can't think of a better way to celebrate the most hellish set of finals I have ever taken then a 22 oz. beer. Well, maybe a few.

New Belgium describes it as a "two-part potion" which "was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate."

I purchased the beer because I love sours and that bottle says "Dark Sour Ale". It was good, if you like stouts and dark beers. If you like sours and are not the hugest fan of dark beers, then I would not advise this one. Unfortunately, I fall into the latter category. I feel a little like I was conned. It is not a dark sour, it is a dark with a touch of sour. Even in the description online New Belgium claims that it is an 80% stout with only 20% being a dark sour.

Other than that, I would say that Clutch is a unique blend. The description online is accurate in that it boasts a rich and roasty overtone. The sour comes more in the aftertaste and is subtle. My only advice to New Belgium would be to remove the "Dark Sour" label or modify to reflect what it really is - a sour dark stout.

Stats:
Price - $8.99*
ABV - 9.0%
IBU - 19
Calories - 260
Hops - Target
Malts - Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Black
OG - 20
TG - 3.2
Fruits/Spice - Dark Wood Ale

*We always try to purchase our beer from PB Express Market in Crown Point. They have a GREAT selection, an awesome staff (Kim is the best!), and are a local small business. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment