Monday, December 31, 2012

Oh-Twelve. My Grades.

2012. What a friggin' year. I have been reading new resolutions and hopes that 2013 is better than 2012 because 2012 sucked in social feeds all morning. I have to say, for me, 2012 was crazy, amazing, trying, unexpected, and just a friggin' roller coaster but in no way did it suck. 

At the beginning of 2012 I wrote some goals for myself and so now, on the last day of oh-twelve as I watch CNN to see if I have to go into the office on Wednesdays this year, here are my grades on my goals.

1. Become a more consistent runner. 
GRADE: C. I have an amazing route when I run, but I have found out that I prefer playing soccer and sports more than just running. That being said, I became a more consistent soccer player this year and since soccer = running, does that count? 

2. Straighten hair more & dress up more. 

SCORE: B-.  After doing the Keratin treatment I thought I would straighten my hair more. It happened for a short bit, but then I realized that I really like the natural curl of my hair. People would give for some texture in their hair. I have a ton of it and I am embracing it. In terms of dressing up more, I did alright. 

3. Watch less TV. 

SCORE: D-. The only reason I don't give myself an F is because I was able to turn off the TV when studying this past month. Other than that, the TV is usually on in my house. Improvement on this goal is still needed. 

4. Read more. 

SCORE:  D. I read a few books but not nearly as many as I had hoped for. Unfortunately with one, maybe two bars in 2013, I don't see this grade changing. 

5. Cuss less. 

SCORE: F. I still cuss a ton. At least I don't do it front of counsel. I do cuss in front of co-workers though... most of them think it's hilarious. Or at least that's what they tell me to my face. 

6. See my faves at least once a month. 

SCORE: D+. Moving across the country put a damper on this goal. I have not seen my faves nearly as much as I wanted or envisioned when I made this goal. Additionally, some of the people I thought of when I made this goal have changed. I have managed to stay in contact with those I love, but I haven't been able to see them. 

7. Never give up but play it smart. 

SCORE: B+. I know this is a vague goal, but to me it meant keeping the faith, but not when it was smart to cut your losses. I have definitely done that with most things in my life. Thankfully I did not have many situations where I had to cut things from my life, but there were a few. I zigged when most people zagged, and through it I kept the faith, followed my heart. In the end, I believe I did the right thing. I never gave up, and I played it smart. 

8. Get a job I love. 

SCORE: A. Never in a million years would I imagine that I would love my job this much! There was a learning curve and a bullying co-worker but I got through both of those. The co-worker is gone and while I continue to learn something new every day, I have learned so much about my job that I now feel more confident in my performance. I have some of the best co-workers and a boss that truly is a mentor and has my back. I don't know how I got so lucky.  

9. Get a new car. 

SCORE: A+. I beat my own goal. I got a whole mass transportation as a replacement for my car. Mass transportation trumps car.  

10. Get my own apartment. 

SCORE: A. I love my apartment. I am still working on some things in it so the full tour of it will probably come next spring, but you can't beat the rent and the location. 

Those that read this and know me know that 2012 brought a ton of changes - some expected, most unexpected. 


I graduated law school - expected, got a job - both expected/hopeful and unexpected, moved to the Midwest - unexpected, by myself - unexpected, didn't take the California bar yet - unexpected, signed up and started studying for the Illinois bar - unexpected, sold my car - expected, didn't buy a replacement car - unexpected, had people step up - unexpected, had some fall away - unexpected. 

Needless to say, never in a million years did I expect to be writing this post from where I am right now. But I am so grateful that I am. 

So, in the end, I have to say...



1 comment:

  1. Good summary of an eventful year! Love you so much...

    ReplyDelete